[Openstack-operators] Problem with Heavy Network IO and Dnsmasq

Thomas Vachon vachon at sessionm.com
Wed Aug 15 11:19:29 UTC 2012

I reported this as a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1037065

However, I was looking to see if anyone else has seen this.

<snip>

I was running a load test against a 4 node Cassandra cluster in
Openstack. I have separate tenancy for each node to ensure there was
no funny contention. Running the test 3 times produced the same
results each time.

About 1/3 of the way through the test, the dnsmasq process crashes
(with no warning or error in any log). The instance will continue
"working" but only inside of the VNC console as all outside
connectivity is now unroutable.

Here is a log from the dnsmasq process. The first two rows show that
dnsmasq was working, then it just fails to route correctly back to the
instance.

</snip>

--
Thomas Vachon