[Openstack-operators] VM with a public IP

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Aug 13 22:53:56 UTC 2012

Paul, it's a cloud.  It's a fairly reasonable design assumption to
believe anyone launching such a service has at least some moderate
level of control over their own resources.  But hell, maybe I'm just
not seeing some awesome new way to use openstack.

Regardless.

Here's a thought for a simple external work around.  You basically
create your own router for your cloud.

So example:

  You get a grab bag of IPs on a bunch of virtual interfaces you fire
up on your router interface facing the university network...

15.4.2.9     eth2:2
15.4.2.56   eth2:3
15.4.3.98   eth2:4
15.4.2.249 eth2:5
15.4.2.30   eth2:6

you take these and setup some nat rules to map them

15.4.2.9      <--> 192.168.250.2
15.4.2.56    <--> 192.168.250.3
15.4.3.98    <--> 192.168.250.4
15.4.2.249  <--> 192.168.250.5
15.4.2.30    <--> 192.168.250.6

then setup a gateway interface ala

192.168.250.1  eth1

Then you configure openstack to route its public interface on that
192.168.250.0/24 network.  And that's your floating ip range.

Openstack doesn't care.  And you are still direct natting full ips.
So it's a bit of a kludge but from the description this sounds like a
kludge is unavoidable atm.

-Matt