[Openstack-operators] VM with a public IP

Paul Walton paul.d.walton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 21:55:17 UTC 2012

Unfortunately, I do not manage the network, and do not have access to the
DHCP server.  This means that I do not have a subnet of IPs that I can
simply hand out freely to my VMs.  If I want a VM to have a public IP then
it must make a request to the campus DHCP server.  There are special cases
where I can assign static IPs to servers, but this is infeasible for the
majority of the VMs I will create since they will be used by students to
complete assignments in class, and will only exist during the course of a
semester.

So, as I understand things so far, OpenStack assumes that I have my own
subnet of public IPs that I can freely use for my VMs?  I can't imagine
this being a reasonable design assumption to make on their part.  Perhaps
I'm overlooking something?

--

Paul Walton

University of Arkansas