[Openstack-operators] Newbie Question - Can I interface with open stack providers from my desktop?

Trey Duskin trey at maldivica.com
Mon Aug 13 21:17:37 UTC 2012

I'm not sure if Horizon will support this, although if the cloud provider's
APIs are standard, it might be possible to set up Horizon and point it at
the provider's endpoints.

However, why would you want to do this?  If we're talking Rackspace or HP,
they have consoles which appear to give you the same basic functionality as
Horizon.  Right now you should be able to "run [your] own cloud from an old
crusty pentium laptop with 512MB of memory."  Am I missing something?

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Mr IT Guru <misteritguru at gmx.com> wrote:

> Good Morning Open Stack People,
>
> Please forgive this naive question.
>
> I've been trying to follow Open Stack, and to be honest, I think it's
> pretty awesome. From my understanding of Horizon, it's a dashboard for
> controlling the features of the stack as a whole. I can't help but thinking
> that, that's great for managing my own private setup - But can I use it to
> interface with a third party implementation - for example, My Rack Space
> account? And if not why not!!! (Just kidding). If this is off topic for the
> list, then I'm sorry, but my mind keeps racing as I think of the
> possibilities. If I'm off target, or if this is not the aim of Horizon,
> then I think I'll be a bit disappointed. I've been following this project
> since it was announced just to see the day where I can run my own cloud
> from an old crusty pentium laptop with 512MB of memory!!
>
> Thanks!

*Trey Duskin*
Dir. of Technical Services, Maldivica
404.955.7490 (c)