[Openstack-operators] No zone/cell in essex release ?

Christian Berendt berendt at b1-systems.de
Wed Apr 18 12:43:01 UTC 2012

Hello.

On 04/18/2012 12:13 PM, makay22 at wp.pl wrote:
> I dont see any possibility to configure zones in nova module .

With zone do you mean the availability zone? It's possible to set the
zones of the nova services in the nova.conf using the parameter
"node_availability_zone".

---snip---
###### (StrOpt) availability zone of this node
# node_availability_zone="nova"
---snap---

It's possible to divide availability zones in aggregates. Have a look at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/host-aggregates for further
details and use the "aggregate" commands of the novaclient.

> I see information that now they are called "cells", but i dont see it also .
> Where i can find cell configuration module in that release.

A cell is a full blown environment and it should be possible to route
requests from one cell into an other cell. You can define child cells
and parent cells.

But I'm not sure if this feature is still available. The last time I
played with cells (or zones..) I had several commands in the novaclient
(zone-list, zone-info, ..) and several parameters in nova.conf. But they
are not there at the moment.

Some more details are noted here:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/161259.

Ans I think this commit is interesting: