[Openstack-operators] Remote participation from Design Summit (and conference)

Duncan McGreggor duncan at dreamhost.com
Mon Apr 16 22:15:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Stefano Maffulli
<stefano at openstack.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 23:13 -0400, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>> The following channels have been created on Freenode and are
>> registered.
>>
>> #osds-ballroom
>> #osds-seacliff-a-b
>> #osds-seacliff-c
>> #osds-seacliff-d
>> #osds-marina
>> #osds-bayview-a
>> #osds-bayview-b
>> #osds-golden-gate
>>
>> Each channel is also getting logged, viewable via HTTP here:
>>   http://irclogs.osds.cogitat.io/
>>
> Awesome, thank you Duncan.
>
> We have also (thanks to Cisco) https://openstack.webex.com/ that we can
> use to stream audio from the rooms. Before we sing our happy song,
> though, we need to jump a few hoops:

Hey folks,

We don't seem to be giving the remote folks much love :-(

Quick fixes:
 * does someone have a link to all the etherpads for the sessions?
Let's get that emailed out to everyone
 * I'm going to start going around to each session and pasting info
into the channels for remote folks

Issues:
 * seems that the webex stuff isn't working consistently
 * sometimes audio isn't turned on
 * microphones aren't being passed around
 * there's no one appointed in the sessions to watch on IRC and pass
questions to the speakers

I'm sure there's lots of other issues...

Folks who are remote: this is only the second OpenStack conference,
and (I think?) this is the first time any sort of remote support has
been attempted. It's probably going to take a couple conferences to
get this ironed out.

Do note, however, that the IRC sessions are logged and will be combed
for problems, complaints, etc. I've already gone through them once
today, to see what I missed. Keep messaging, keep raising your
voices... you'll be heard eventually, and this will help make remote
support better with each conference.

See you online,