[Openstack-operators] can connect to VM locally, but not from outside

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:37:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

I can connect to my newly created VM from within its compute node,
but not from any other host, and this is, I guess, due to some networking
configuration/design mess.

The goal is, to have one big 10.10.0.0/16 network in our data center,

10.10.1x.yy -> IPMI
10.10.2x.yy -> switches, PDUs, ...
10.10.3x.yy -> physical nodes
*10.10.4x.yy -> VMs
*
so basically, I have assigned all physical nodes an IP like br0:
10.10.30.190/16, with eth0 already joined to br0, and everything works fine
:)

Now, comes the nova mess :(....

# cat /etc/nova/nova.conf
--use_console_monitor=True

--dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf
--dhcpbridge=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
--logdir=/var/log/nova
--state_path=/var/lib/nova
--lock_path=/var/lock/nova

--allow_admin_api=true
--use_deprecated_auth=false
--auth_strategy=keystone

--scheduler_driver=nova.scheduler.simple.SimpleScheduler

--s3_host=10.10.30.190
--ec2_host=10.10.30.190
--rabbit_host=10.10.30.190
--cc_host=10.10.30.190
--nova_url=http://10.10.30.190:8774/v1.1/
--glance_api_servers=10.10.30.190:9292
--image_service=nova.image.glance.GlanceImageService
--glance_host=10.10.30.190
--sql_connection=mysql://novadbadmin:********@10.10.30.190/nova

--ec2_url=http://10.10.30.190:8773/services/Cloud
--keystone_ec2_url=http://10.10.30.190:5000/v2.0/ec2tokens

--api_paste_config=/etc/nova/api-paste.ini

--libvirt_type=kvm
--libvirt_use_virtio_for_bridges=true

--start_guests_on_host_boot=true
--resume_guests_state_on_host_boot=true

# ----- VNC
--vnc_enabled=true
--vncproxy_url=http://10.10.30.190:6080
--vnc_console_proxy_url=http://10.10.30.190:6080

# ----- network specific settings
--network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
--public_interface=eth0

--flat_interface=eth0
--flat_network_bridge=br0

# ----- public network
#--floating_range=$public_net/28

# ----- private network
*--routing_source_ip=10.10.30.190
--fixed_range=10.10.0.0/24
--flat_network_dhcp_start=10.10.41.10
--network_size=512
*--force_dhcp_release
--flat_injected=False

--iscsi_helper=tgtadm
--iscsi_ip_prefix=10.10.52 # ?

--connection_type=libvirt
--root_helper=sudo nova-rootwrap
--verbose
# eof

I tried different approaches in getting this run, and I remember the last
time I tried to set nova up, it worked (somehow? I did something handy to
the routing table? can't remember, unfortunately)...

I use a big 10.10/16 network so that we don't bloat the VPN client scripts
with additional routes everyone (who should know) must know about, and for
(I hoped) ease of simplicity.

I chose not to use VLAN because even tough our switches are VLAN capable
I'd like to avoid the extra overhead for now, because I'd like to get it
basically up'n'running and not delay my first experience yet another week
:-)

Has anyone an idea on how I could achieve getting every IP to where it
belongs to?

Many thanks in advance,
Christian.