[Openstack-operators] SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.com
Thu Nov 17 10:34:29 UTC 2011

Hi Vickreman,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 01:42:45PM +0800, Vickreman Chettiar wrote:
>   I'm trying to build a single OpenStack *Swift* storage node with the
> following configuration, for production use. I intend to deploy only the
> Swift component of OpenStack - not the Nova or Glance systems.
>
>    - Supermicro SuperChassis 936A-R900B Rackmount 3U Chassis
>    (CSE-936A-R900B)
>    - Supermicro X8DTH-6F Server Motherboard (MBD-X8DTH-6F-O)
>    - 2 units of Intel Xeon Six-Core X5690 3.46GHz/12MB Processor (BPC:
>    BX80614X5690)
>    - 6 units of Kingston 16GB 1066MHz DDR3 ECC CL7 4R RDIMM with Parity &
>    Thermal Sensor (KVR1066D3Q4R7S/16G)
>    - Atto ExpressSAS R60F RAID Controller Card (ESAS-R60F-C00)
>    - Atto FastFrame NS14 Quad-Port 10Gb Ethernet Network Interface Card
>    (FFRM-NS14-000) - *all Swift storage traffic would occur over these
>    10GbE ports.*
>    - Atto Celerity FC-84EN Quad-Port 8Gb Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter
>    Card (CTFC-84EN-000) - *this Fibre Channel HBA is for connection to a
>    SAN for data backup to tape.*
>    - 16 units of Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB 7.2K RPM SAS 6Gb/s HDD
>    (ST33000650SS), *configured in a hardware RAID 60 array - two RAID 6
>    arrays each consisting of 8 HDDs.*
>    - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1
>    - Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 Remote Agent for Linux & Unix Servers
>    - Hewlett-Packard PS/2 Interface Adapter (262588-B21)
>
>   The server's partition layout is as follows. Note that OpenStack Swift
> has *not yet been installed* on this server. I want OpenStack Swift to
> store its data in the /srv/node/localstore partition.
>
>    - ¼GiB ext2 Partition as /boot
>    - 128GiB swap Partition
>    - 100GB ext4 Partition as /
>    - 27,500GiB XFS Partition as /srv/node/localstore
>
>   I want to run all four swift services (swift-proxy-server,
> swift-account-server, swift-container-server & swift-object-server) on this
> single node. I am aware that using a single server is not the recommended
> setup for a production environment, but the main requirement in my
> production environment is for low-cost high-speed online archival storage
> rather than high-availability, and all data on the storage node would be
> backed up regularly to tape.
>
>   The server runs on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1, and I need to
> know:
>
>    1. Is OpenStack Swift compatible with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
>    SP1?
>    2. Are there any known issues in running OpenStack Swift on SLES 11 SP1?
>    3. Can OpenStack Swift operate with a Ten Gigabit Ethernet network?
>    4. Will there be SLES binaries (i.e. RPMs) available in future for
>    OpenStack Swift?

OpenStack packages for SUSE Linux Enterprise have been built at
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization:/Cloud:/OpenStack:/Diablo/SLE_11_SP1/

To install them, just run

  zypper ar -r http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization:/Cloud:/OpenStack:/Diablo/SLE_11_SP1/Virtualization:Cloud:OpenStack:Diablo.repo
  zypper ref
  zypper in openstack-swift openstack-swift-account openstack-swift-container openstack-swift-object openstack-swift-proxy

Follow
http://docs.openstack.org/diablo/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/
for configuration instructions.

Best
Christoph
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany