[Openstack-operators] SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1

Vickreman Chettiar vickreman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:42:45 UTC 2011

Hi.

  I'm trying to build a single OpenStack *Swift* storage node with the
following configuration, for production use. I intend to deploy only the
Swift component of OpenStack - not the Nova or Glance systems.

   - Supermicro SuperChassis 936A-R900B Rackmount 3U Chassis
   (CSE-936A-R900B)
   - Supermicro X8DTH-6F Server Motherboard (MBD-X8DTH-6F-O)
   - 2 units of Intel Xeon Six-Core X5690 3.46GHz/12MB Processor (BPC:
   BX80614X5690)
   - 6 units of Kingston 16GB 1066MHz DDR3 ECC CL7 4R RDIMM with Parity &
   Thermal Sensor (KVR1066D3Q4R7S/16G)
   - Atto ExpressSAS R60F RAID Controller Card (ESAS-R60F-C00)
   - Atto FastFrame NS14 Quad-Port 10Gb Ethernet Network Interface Card
   (FFRM-NS14-000) - *all Swift storage traffic would occur over these
   10GbE ports.*
   - Atto Celerity FC-84EN Quad-Port 8Gb Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter
   Card (CTFC-84EN-000) - *this Fibre Channel HBA is for connection to a
   SAN for data backup to tape.*
   - 16 units of Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB 7.2K RPM SAS 6Gb/s HDD
   (ST33000650SS), *configured in a hardware RAID 60 array - two RAID 6
   arrays each consisting of 8 HDDs.*
   - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1
   - Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 Remote Agent for Linux & Unix Servers
   - Hewlett-Packard PS/2 Interface Adapter (262588-B21)

  The server's partition layout is as follows. Note that OpenStack Swift
has *not yet been installed* on this server. I want OpenStack Swift to
store its data in the /srv/node/localstore partition.

   - ¼GiB ext2 Partition as /boot
   - 128GiB swap Partition
   - 100GB ext4 Partition as /
   - 27,500GiB XFS Partition as /srv/node/localstore

  I want to run all four swift services (swift-proxy-server,
swift-account-server, swift-container-server & swift-object-server) on this
single node. I am aware that using a single server is not the recommended
setup for a production environment, but the main requirement in my
production environment is for low-cost high-speed online archival storage
rather than high-availability, and all data on the storage node would be
backed up regularly to tape.

  The server runs on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1, and I need to
know:

   1. Is OpenStack Swift compatible with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
   SP1?
   2. Are there any known issues in running OpenStack Swift on SLES 11 SP1?
   3. Can OpenStack Swift operate with a Ten Gigabit Ethernet network?
   4. Will there be SLES binaries (i.e. RPMs) available in future for
   OpenStack Swift?

  Thanks to all for taking the time to read my email. Regards,

Vickreman Chettiar <http://sg.linkedin.com/in/vickremanchettiar>

I'm quite particular about particular fields of quiet physics such as
particular physics.