[Openstack-operators] OpenStack compute + storage

Timur Irmatov irmatov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 06:01:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Kristofer Pettijohn
<kristofer at cybernetik.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to understand if OpenStack storage (Swift) can be used as backend
> block stoarge for Compute?
> The Use Cases on the page states "Integrates with OpenStack Compute to store
> server images", but I don't know if that's images in the sense of templates,
> or if it is for actual block storage.
> Or does another type of SAN need to be used (like NFS)?
> Thanks

It is not possible to use Swift as block storage, because you access
files (objects) stored in Swift only via HTTP interface. So you can
upload new files, delete existing files but you can't update files in
the middle, without reuploading it fully.

So I guess use case for OpenStack Compute implies storage of initial images.

Timur Irmatov, xmpp:irmatov at jabber.ru