[Openstack-mentoring] Neutron subnet with DHCP relay - continued

Thomas King thomas.king at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 22:37:15 UTC 2020

Good day,

I'm bringing up a thread from June about DHCP relay with neutron networks
in Ironic, specifically using unicast relay. The Triple-O docs do not have
the plain config/neutron config to show how a regular Ironic setup would
use DHCP relay.

The Neutron segments docs state that I must have a unique physical network
name. If my Ironic controller has a single provisioning network with a
single physical network name, doesn't this prevent my use of multiple
segments?

Further, the segments docs state this: "The operator must ensure that every
compute host that is supposed to participate in a router provider network
has direct connectivity to one of its segments." (section 3 at
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/pike/admin/config-routed-networks.html#prerequisites
-
current docs state the same thing)
This defeats the purpose of using DHCP relay, though, where the Ironic
controller does *not* have direct connectivity to the remote segment.

Here is a rough drawing - what is wrong with my thinking here?
Remote server: 10.146.30.32/27 VLAN 2116<-----> Router with DHCP relay
<------> Ironic controller, provisioning network: 10.146.29.192/26 VLAN 2115

Thank you,
Tom King