[Openstack-internships] Fwd: Outreachy round 12 application

jyoti misra jyotimisra.99 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 07:21:18 UTC 2016

Hi sayali,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 12:46 AM, Sayali Lunkad <sayali.92720 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jyoti,
>

> On Sun, 2016-03-13 at 03:38 +0530, jyoti misra wrote:
> > I am Jyoti Misra from IIIT Hyderabad, India. I work in Lab for
> > Spatial Informatics at IIIT-H under the guidance of Dr KS Rajan.
> >
> > I am interested in working with OpenStack for the outreachy program.
> > I read the idea page and the projects interest me a lot.
> >
> It is nice to see that you are interested in contributing to OpenStack
> as a part of the Outreachy program. To apply to the Outreachy
> internship you need to first make a small contribution to the project
> you are interested in which in this case would be OpenStack. This is
> normally done with the help of the mentors for the specific project in
> OpenStack you are interested in. This is mainly done so that the
> mentors have an idea of your skill and to get you familiar with the
> project workflow so it's easy to start contributing once your
> internship starts. Normally we do this over IRc on the #openstack-opw
> channel. You can join that channel and ping the mentors to help you get
> started. Mail is also alright but it is not always the fastest way.
>
> Thank you for such detailed reply Sayali. I have already installed the
software and had a look at it.

> > I am particularly interested in
> > 1. Horizon- Context-sensitive help in openstack-dashboard and
> I can help you out with this project. It is as you see a feature we add
> to the openstack-dashboard(horizon). We can discuss this in more
> details if you like. You can ping me on IRC, my nick is sayalilunkad.

I read the logs @irc and it seems you are busy till wednesday. But reading
the logs what I understand about the project, you want to add a python
parser to aid in user searches.
I have done 2 similar projects using python which I think can be helpful
here. One that uses a parser for sentiment analysis and another that parses
user's query strings and pases them to an AI bot(written in python by me)
to get the relevant answers. I think concepts of Information Retrieval and
Extraction would also be useful here about which I am taking a course right
now. Please give me some idea/suggestion/feedback on solving this problem
if you have any.

> > 2. Keystone- LDAP Cleanup
> > I think the second project is very important wrt OpenStack as its
> > completion will help in adopting python 3.
> >
> > I am quite familiar with Python, having worked in it for the past 3
> > years. And I have done many projects using it.
> >
> As you know OpenStack is mainly written in python so it is definitely a
> plus that you have experience in python.

Yes as said I have worked on python and also on its natural language
lib(NLTK).

Also can you also tell me exact requirement of the project so that I can
prepare a proposal for the same and a small task to test my technical
skills.

> > I have a good idea of open source projects in this field. I would
> > love to contribute to your organization. Kindly consider me and
> > direct me with the project.
> >
> > Attached is my resume.
> > Regards,
> > Jyoti