[OpenStack-Infra] OpenDev infra as an OSF pilot project

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Mar 2 18:23:40 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Jonathan Bryce wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I saw some of the discussions on different channels last week about the
> ongoing move of the OpenDev infra services out of OpenStack project and
> TC governance. One of the questions that was raised was around setting
> it up as an OSF pilot project. I wanted to send an email to this list
> to see if that was something the team was interested in moving forward
> on.
>
> As a pilot project, it would create some official standing for the new
> effort that would make it clear it’s something that is still supported
> by the OSF community and staff. It would also provide additional
> opportunities for education and exposure as part of the foundation’s
> overall activities. While the OpenDev infra services are somewhat
> different than the other projects we have piloted (e.g. Zuul), I think
> the process would still work and could be helpful to complete the
> transition to a more standalone community both from a governance and
> perception standpoint.
>
> Pilot projects are initiated through action of the foundation staff and
> over time may be confirmed by the Board as a top-level project with
> long-term support. I personally would be supportive of taking the pilot
> step, and would like to hear thoughts from those of you who are
> directly engaged in it.

I'm in favor of it. I think my biggest concern is that it could be awkward to sort through the confirmation process. Perhaps you could elaborate on how you think that might work given the current framework? Also, I'm not sure the entire infra team is familiar with this process so a bit more information on the process and what would be required of us would be useful. (I'd try but I'm sure to get it wrong).