[OpenStack-Infra] Contribution to the OpenStack Infra.

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Apr 2 21:07:03 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020, at 3:16 PM, Javier Romero wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> Hope your are well. My name is Javier, live in Argentina and work as a
> cloud engineer. Have been working as a Linux sysadmin for the las 10
> years in an Internet service provider.
>

> Would like to know if I can start contributing with the OpenStack
> Infra. I have expierence with KVM virtualization and Docker containers.
>

> Thank you very much for your attention and sorry for the inconvenience.

No thank you! it is not an inconvenience at all.

I think we spoke briefly on IRC and my suggestion there was that you look into one of the current efforts that is happening, do some code review to see how pieces fit together and even volunteer to push some changes as you learn.

An incomplete but hopefully useful list of activities happening currently:
* Deploy Gerrit with Ansible and Docker (migration off of puppet)
  https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:gerrit-docker+status:open
* Deploy jitsi meet with etherpad integration for collaborative conference calls and brainstorming (this uses Docker too)
  https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:meetpad+status:open
  * I think we've recently discovered that we may want to redeploy etherpad under docker for this as well so that we have an up to date installation under the opendev.org domain. https://review.opendev.org/#/c/716442/
* Add Fedora 31 image builds to nodepool so that Zuul jobs can run on Fedora 31
  https://review.opendev.org/#/q/(topic:f31+OR+topic:fedora-31)+status:open
* Execute our Ansible and Docker config management from Zuul in a CD fashion rather than via cron.
  https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:infra-prod-zuul+status:open

I've tried to provide links to inflight changes for each of those efforts. You can review the individual changes there to get an idea for what each of these things involves.

Also, I totally understand that this might be a lot to take in. If you pick something that looks interesting and have questions I am more than happy to answer them. Either here on the mailing list or on IRC (I am clarkb). Don't be afraid to ask questions. I have to ask many questions myself :)

I hope this helps and let me know if it doesn't (I'll keep trying),
Clark