[OpenStack-Infra] Please delete tag 2.0.1

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Oct 17 21:15:01 UTC 2019

[Cc'ing because it seems you're not subscribed, apologies for any
duplicate copies you may receive]

On 2019-10-17 15:14:38 -0400 (-0400), Scott Little wrote:
> Tag 2.0.1 should point to c89aeff3401fa37ca679bf170cd2f239a51b639f in repo
> opendev.org/starlingx/manifest .
>
> The current 2.0.1 tag was pushed in error.  Please delete the 2.0.1 tag from
> opendev.org/starlingx/manifest so that I can push the correct tag.
>
> We realize the challenges of re-writing a tag, and will be informing our
> users of the change and the manual steps to fix their repos.

To recap the discussion from #openstack-infra on Freenode, doing
this will leave Zuul and Nodepool repository caches in an
inconsistent state from the official copy in Gerrit due to Git not
communicating changes for tags. While it sounds like the CI jobs
currently applied to or relying on the starlingx/manifest repository
do not take any action on nor generate any artifacts from its Git
tags, we would still need to perform cleanup under maintenance to
wipe and replace Git caches on the following servers for
consistency:

    12 Zuul executors
    8 Zuul mergers
    3 Nodepool image builders

This must be done with their respective services offline to force
them to re-clone the repositories without erroneous tags when they
start. Just as a reminder, these systems are designed with the
assumption that Git tags won't be deleted or replaced because Git
itself provides no mechanism for a client to discover that this has
happened.

Given the amount of manual effort involved, please consider
alternatives such pushing a tag with a new (slightly higher) version
number. While deleting that tag is something we *can* do, we need to
know that the effort is justified, and not simply the OpenDev
sysadmins taking on more work to save someone else from doing
(perhaps a smaller amount of) work instead.