[OpenStack-Infra] Checking release approvals automatically

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 15 13:48:11 UTC 2019

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-11-14 17:14:35 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2019-11-14 17:54:45 +0100 (+0100), Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> [...]
>>> "checking that the PTL or designated liaisons have actually +1 the
>>> request, before casting our own +2 vote."
>> [...]
>>
>> Not that I have a better alternative implementation to suggest, but
>> just to clarify it seems like the underlying problem statement is
>> really "block merging a release request without confirmation by a
>> corresponding PTL or release liaison" (and the Gerrit votes
>> themselves are more of an implementation detail).
>
> Or is it maybe "avoid spending release team review time on release
> requests until a corresponding PTL/liaison has confirmed them"
> rather than blocking merge?

I'd say "Have a way to tell when the PTL/liaison approved the request
without having to manually check who the PTL and liaisons are". The vote
should not be blocking since we'd likely override it in corner cases.

Regarding implementation, the benefit of using a specific label is that
it would (also) appear in dashboards.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)