[OpenStack-Infra] 2019 Denver Summit/Forum/PTG Recap

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue May 14 21:43:03 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-14 14:23:51 -0700 (-0700), Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2019, at 11:41 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2019-05-13 13:49:44 -0400 (-0400), Clark Boylan wrote:
> > [...]
> > > we discussed if OpenDev would be an appropriate location for
> > > throwaway repos and unfortunately we don't think we are there yet.
> > > Gerrit currently won't scale to that use case for us.
> > [...]
> >
> > Thinking about this a little more, what if we allowed personal
> > sandboxes in Gerrit and just didn't wrap them in all the other
> > replication, CI and general formality we do for normal repositories?
> > Gerrit will allow you to grant access to paths with "$user" in
> > them[*], of which WMF's[**] and some other deployments take
> > advantage to that end.
>
> These are ref paths not repo paths. Are you thinking every user
> could have a single scratch space repo then have arbitrary refs
> within that repo?
[...]

It looks like the way they're doing it is granting users the ability
to create (via push) their own personal branches in a common Git
repository... so not quite the solution to throwaway repositories,
more like user-namespaced throwaway branches in a single existing
repository (e.g. opendev/sandbox).