[OpenStack-Infra] ARA 1.0 deployment plans

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 08:00:01 UTC 2019

Hello,

I started to look at the system-config base -devel job, which runs
Ansible & ARA from master (this job has been quite useful in flagging
issues early across Ansible, testinfra, ARA etc, but it takes a bit
for us to keep it stable...)

It seems ARA 1.0 has moved in some directions we're not handling right
now.  Playing with [1] I've got ARA generating and uploading it's
database.

Currently, Apache matches an ara-report/ directory on
logs.openstack.org and sent to the ARA wsgi application which serves
the response from the sqlite db in that directory [2].

If I'm understanding, we now need ara-web [3] to display the report
page we all enjoy.  However this web app currently only gets data from
an ARA server instance that provides a REST interface with the info?

I'm not really seeing how this fits with the current middleware
deployment? (unfortunately [4] or an analogue in the new release seems
to have disappeared).  Do we now host a separate ARA server on
logs.openstack.org on some known port that knows how to turn
/*/ara-report/ URL requests into access of the .sqlite db on disk and
thus provide the REST interface?  And then somehow we host a ara-web
instance that knows how to request from this?

Given I can't see us wanting to do a bunch of puppet hacking to get
new services on logs.openstack.org, but yet also it requiring fairly
non-trivial effort to get the extant bits and pieces on that server
migrated to an all-Ansible environment, I think we have to give some
thought as to how we'll roll this out (plus add in containers,
possible logs on swift, etc ... for extra complexity :)

So does anyone have thoughts on a high-level view of how this might
hang together?

-i

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/664478/
[2] https://opendev.org/opendev/puppet-openstackci/src/branch/master/templates/logs.vhost.erb