[OpenStack-Infra] Clarification on OpenStack Infra/OpenDev testing of Github Projects

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Jan 17 17:43:16 UTC 2019

At the Berlin summit we had some discussions about whether or not the future OpenDev service would support CI testing of projects hosted outside of OpenDev (specifically on GitHub). At the time I mentioned that the current experiment with Kata meant that we likely wouldn't. There are some interesting gotchas to deal with like managing the Zuul app on the GIthub side of things. In addition to that we'd like to build free tools for free software under the OpenDev umbrella and that means access to the CI system is via our free software code review tool: Gerrit.

Having said all that, we are still hopeful we can continue the Kata experiment in a productive manner. Assuming Kata is still interested we would like to be able to run Zuul against Kata in a more "production" like manner as the feedback so far has been useful to Zuul,. We'd like to show them that the free tools we've built in our community can host a project like Kata as well as facilitate a potential move to OpenDev and full integration with the rest of our community in the future. For this reason we expect Kata to remain a one off exception to the rule stated above.

It is also worth noting that we perform Third Party Testing against a small number of Github projects. This testing ensures that Zuul, OpenStack, or other projects function correctly when used in conjunction with this Github hosted software. We are not acting as primary CI for these projects. This too will likely remain, not as an exception, but as a useful integration point between communities.

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit about our plans for hosting CI,
Clark