[OpenStack-Infra] OpenDev git hosting migration and Gerrit downtime April 19, 2019

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Apr 17 14:54:46 UTC 2019

James E. Blair wrote:
> My understanding is this is due to openstack-infra being TC-governed and
> opendev not quite having gotten around to establishing an official
> non-TC governance yet.  I think the intent is to eventually do that.  We
> could probably anticipate that a bit if we would like and go ahead and
> sort openstack-infra things into different buckets.  At the end of this,
> I think we will all have more hats, with overlap between opendev and
> openstack.  Some current infra activities and repos are
> openstack-specific and should be re-homed into openstack; others serve
> all projects and should be in opendev; yet more are just things that are
> incidentally related to what we do and should be on their own.
>
> I've produced a list based on my estimation of what things will look
> like at the end of the process.  This is just a starting point if we
> would like to explore this option.  We could refine the list and use it,
> or we could choose to stick with the status quo temporarily and move the
> infra repos out of openstack at a later time when things are more clear.
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/6CmVhW40m0

I understand it conflates two separate issues (rename and governance),
and we clearly don't want to delay the rename due to premature
governance discussions.

My personal view on this is that we can split openstack-infra things
between openstack/ and opendev/ following your etherpad plan, and
officialize the governance part later. Technically, things split under
opendev/ would still be under the OpenStack infra team and the OpenStack
TC until the governance is officially split out. That avoids unnecessary
renames and crowding our new clean openstack/ space with stuff we know
will move away soon.

We'll obviously have to edit the projects.yaml to account for the repo
renames under the Infrastructure team, but we have to do that anyway.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)