[OpenStack-Infra] Problems setting up my own OpenStack Infrastructure

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:27:25 UTC 2018

Thanks much, Clark. Please don't worry about fast or slow responses.

Regarding the certificate: I had gone over this obstacle by creating my own
self-signed certificate and setting the trust chain parameter to the empty
string. This seems to work.

Regarding the hiera: That makes sense to me. Certificates count as private
data, I guess. Documenting all parameters in site.pp looks like a large
task (67 node declarations if I counted right). Before I volunteer :), I
will first set up my Etherpad.

After fixing the certificate problem, I am hitting more obstacles. I
decided to document my progress on an Etherpad
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Creating_an_OpenStack_CI_at_home, hoping
my problems will be useful for improving the docs. I will probably send the
occasional email summarizing the status or asking for help.

Bernd.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 1:15 AM, Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 5:12 PM, Bernd Bausch wrote:
> > My first test uses this local.pp. It's copied verbatim from [1]:
> > ~~~~
> > # local.pp
> > class { 'openstack_project::etherpad':
> >   ssl_cert_file_contents  => hiera('etherpad_ssl_cert_file_contents'),
>
> This is the public portion of ssl certificate use to run an https server.
> It includes the BEGIN and END CERTIFICATE lines of the cert file contents
> and everything in between.
>
> >   ssl_key_file_contents   => hiera('etherpad_ssl_key_file_contents'),
>
> This is the portion portion of ssl certificate use to run an https server.
> It includes the BEGIN and END PRIVATE KEY lines of the cert file contents
> and everything in between.
>
> >   ssl_chain_file_contents => hiera('etherpad_ssl_chain_file_contents'),
>
> This is the chain of certificates needed to trust the certificate (if
> required, not all certs will have this).
>
> >   mysql_host              => hiera('etherpad_db_host', 'localhost'),
> >   mysql_user              => hiera('etherpad_db_user', 'etherpad'),
> >   mysql_password          => hiera('etherpad_db_password','etherpad'),
> > }
>
> In the case of using built in snakeoil certs on ubuntu you can just
> provide the ssl_key_file and ssl_cert_file values and rely on the contents
> being already in those files to make this simpler rather than going and
> getting a certificate. However you could also use something like Let's
> Encrypt to get the certificates and set their content above.
>
> Example of using snakeoil certs at https://git.openstack.org/
> cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/modules/openstack_
> project/manifests/etherpad_dev.pp#n12

<SNIP>