[OpenStack-Infra] [infra][nova] Corrupt nova-specs repo

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 03:07:43 UTC 2018

On 06/30/2017 04:11 PM, Ian Wienand wrote:
> Unfortunately it seems the nova-specs repo has undergone some
> corruption, currently manifesting itself in an inability to be pushed
> to github for replication.

We haven't cleaned this up, due to wanting to do it during a rename
transition which hasn't happened yet due to zuulv3 rollout.

We had reports that github replication was not working.  Upon checking
the queue, nova-specs was suspicious.

07141063              Mar-02 08:04      (retry 3810) [d7122c96] push git at github.com:openstack/nova-specs.git
4e27c57e waiting .... Mar-02 08:12      [ee1b1935] push git at github.com:openstack/networking-bagpipe.git
... so on ...

Checking out the logs, nova-specs tries to push itself and fails
constantly, per the previous mail.  However, usually we get an error
and things continue on; e.g.

[2018-03-02 08:04:56,439] [d7122c96] Cannot replicate to git at github.com:openstack/nova-specs.git
org.eclipse.jgit.errors.TransportException: git at github.com:openstack/nova-specs.git: error occurred during unpacking on the remote end: index-pack abnormal exit

Something seems to have happened at

[2018-03-02 08:05:58,065] [d7122c96] Push to git at github.com:openstack/nova-specs.git references:

Becuase this never returned an error, or seemingly at all.  From that
point, no more attempts were made by the replication thread(s) to push
to github; jobs were queued but nothing happened.  I killed that task,
but no progress appeared to be made and the replication queue
continued to climb.  I couldn't find any other useful messages in the
logs; but they would be around that time if they were there.

I've restarted gerrit and replication appears to be moving again.  I'm
thinking maybe we should attempt to fix this separate to renames,
because at a minimum it makes debugging quite hard as it floods the
logs.  I'll bring it up in this week's meeting.

-i