[OpenStack-Infra] Moving logs into swift (redux)

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jul 17 15:41:38 UTC 2018

Joshua Hesketh <joshua.hesketh at gmail.com> writes:

> I know the CDN was complicated with the cloud provider we were using at the
> time. However, I'm unsure what the CDN options are these days. Will there
> be an API we can use to turn the CDN on per container and get the public
> URL for example?

A typical swift has the ability to allow for public access to swift
itself, so this shouldn't be an issue.  We should survey our available
swifts and make sure of this.  I'm not currently advocating that we use
non-standard swifts (i.e., ones which require non-standard API calls to
retrieve CDN urls, etc).

> If the above two items turn out sub-optimal, I'm personally not opposed to
> continuing to run our own middleware. We don't necessarily need that to be
> in os_loganalyze as the returned URL could be a new middleware. The
> middleware can then handle the ARA and possibly even work as our own CDN
> choosing the correct container as needed (if we can't get CDN details
> otherwise).

I'd love to get out of the middleware business entirely if we can.  It
causes large, disruptive outages when it breaks.

-Jim