[OpenStack-Infra] What's the future for git-review?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jul 5 16:13:16 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-05 09:03:44 -0700 (-0700), Andrew Grimberg wrote:
> On 07/04/2018 06:57 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> > For that matter, setting the topic based on the local branch
> > name could also get tossed while we're at it, and just keep the
> > -t option for directly specifying a change topic when people
> > really want to do it at time of upload.
>
> Personally I would find this a regression. We inform our
> communities to use local branches and git-review all the time and
> tell them it will take care of setting the topic as long as they
> do that. It's an extremely useful feature and I rely upon it
> daily! I would hate to have to add an extra flag to my review
> pushes.

Very helpful feedback, thanks! I'm on the fence about that one
simply because the only reason git-review cared to set review topics
at all originally was that at the time Gerrit only allowed you to do
that when pushing a new commit. They've since separated topic
modification out into its own action which can be done from the
WebUI or API on an existing change without altering anything else
about it. I do find the topic-branch-sets-change-topic behavior sort
of unclean from an idempotency standpoint, as `git-review -d`
followed by `git review` will alter the topic of your existing
change to be the change index number when I'd rather it just left
the topic alone.

My bigger concern is that git-review attempts to autodetect possible
topic names based on (at this point increasingly outmoded)
OpenStack-community-specific commit message footer contents like
Implements and Closes-Bug. These I see as a nuisance and
codification of OpenStackisms we should cleanse from the codebase.