[OpenStack-Infra] Adding ARM64 cloud to infra

Dan Radez dradez at redhat.com
Mon Jan 15 15:52:22 UTC 2018

On 01/12/2018 07:21 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018, at 3:27 PM, Dan Radez wrote:
>> fwiw
>> We've been building arm images for tripleo and posting them.
>> https://images.rdoproject.org/aarch64/pike/delorean/current-tripleo-rdo/
>>

>> This uses delorean and overcloud build:
>>
>>     DIB_YUM_REPO_CONF+="/etc/yum.repos.d/delorean-deps-${OSVER}.repo
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/delorean-${OSVER}.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/ceph.repo
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/radez.fedorapeople.repo" \
>>     openstack --debug overcloud image build \
>>         --config-file overcloud-aarch64.yaml \
>>         --config-file
>> /usr/share/openstack-tripleo-common/image-yaml/overcloud-images.yaml \
>>         --config-file
>> /usr/share/openstack-tripleo-common/image-yaml/overcloud-images-centos7.yaml
>>     # --config-file overcloud-images.yaml --config-file
>> overcloud-images-centos7.yaml --config-file aarch64-gumpf.yaml --image-name
>>     #openstack --debug overcloud image build --type overcloud-full
>> --node-arch aarch64
>>
>> It's not quite an orthodox RDO build, There are still a few things in
>> place that work around arm related packaging discrepancies or x86
>> related configs. But we get good builds from it.
>>
>> I don't know the details of what overcloud build does to the dib builds,
>> Though I don't believe these are whole disk images. I think the
>> overcloud and undercloud are root partition images and the kernel an
>> initrd are composed into the disk for the overcloud by OOO and we direct
>> boot them to launch a undercloud VM.
>>
>> Happy to share details if anyone wants more.
>>
>> Radez
> Looking into this a big more `openstack overcloud image build` takes in the yaml config files you list and converts that into a forked diskimage-builder process to build an image. The centos7 dib element in particular seems to have aarch64 support via building on top of the upstream centos7 aarch64 image. We do use the centos-minimal element for our images though as it allows us to do things like install glean. Chances are we still need need to sort out UEFI and GPT for general dib use.
>
> Just to be sure there isn't any other magic going on can you provide the contents of the overcloud-aarch64.yaml or point to where it can be found? It doesn't appear to be in tripleo-common with the other configs.
>
> It is good to know that this is working in some cases though.
>
> Clark

The centos support that's there is because I added it. :)
Here's the overcloud-aarch64 file, Its purpose is just to switch the
arch for the two images built.
I think the packages reference was because there was a missing dep that
has since been resolved.

[stack at localhost ~]$ cat overcloud-aarch64.yaml
  disk_images:
  -
    imagename: overcloud-full
    arch: arm64