[OpenStack-Infra] Adding ARM64 cloud to infra

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jan 12 15:54:20 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-12 16:06:03 +0100 (+0100), Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Or someone will try to target q35/uefi emulation instead of i440fx
> one on x86 alone.

I'm curious why we'd need emulation there... the expectation is that
DIB is running on a native 64-bit ARM system (under a hypervisor,
but still not cross-architecture). The reason we'll be deploying a
Nodepool builder server in the environment is so that we don't need
to worry about cross-building an arm64 rootfs and boot partition.

> I am tired of yet another disk image building projects.
> All think they are special, all have same assumptions. btdt.

While I can't disagree with regard to the proliferation of disk
image builders, this one has existed since July of 2012 and sees
extensive use throughout OpenStack. At the time it came into being,
there weren't a lot of good options for cross-distro orchestration
of image builds (e.g., one tool which could build Debian images on
CentOS and CentOS images on Debian).

> If I disable installing grub I can build useless one partition disk
> image on arm64. Nothing will boot it.

See my other reply on this thread with a link to the bootloader
element. It seems like it's got support implemented for
multi-partition images needed by 64-bit PowerPC systems, so not
terribly dissimilar.