[OpenStack-Infra] Hostnames

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Sat Jan 6 18:21:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 10:03 AM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that every time we boot a new server, it either randomly has a
> hostname of foo, or foo.openstack.org.  And maybe that changes between
> the first boot and second.
>
> The result of this is that our services which require that they know
> their hostname (which is a lot, especially the complicated ones) end up
> randomly working or not.  We waste time repeating the same diagnosis and
> manual fix each time.
>
> What is the cause of this, and how do we fix this correctly?

It seems to be an intentional behavior [0] of part of the launch node build process [1]. We could remove the split entirely there and in the hosts and mailnametemplate to use fqdns as hostname to fix it.

[0] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/playbooks/roles/set_hostname/tasks/main.yml#n12
[1] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/launch/launch-node.py#n209

Clark