[OpenStack-Infra] Continued discussion of Winterscale naming

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Aug 29 18:06:55 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, at 11:33 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> The Infra team has been brainstorming and collecting feedback in
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/infra-services-naming as to what
> actual name/domain the Winterscale effort will use. If you've not
> been following along, the earlier discussions can be found in the
> following mailing list threads:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-infra/2018-May/005957.html
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-infra/2018-July/006010.html
>
> So far the "short list" at the bottom of the pad seems to contain
> only one entry: OpenDev.
>
> The OpenStack Foundation has offered to let us take control of
> opendev.org for this purpose if we would like. They have it mainly
> as a defensive registration to protect the OpenDev Conference brand,
> but use a separate opendevconf.org domain for that at present. The
> opendev.org domain is just sitting parked on the same nameservers as
> openstack.org right now, not in use for anything. The brand itself
> has a positive connotation in the community so far, and the OpenDev
> Conferences share a lot of similar goals (bringing communities of
> people together to collaborate openly on design and development
> activities) so this even provides some useful synergy around the
> name and possible promotional tie-ins with the events if we like.
>
> I know lots of us are eager to move forward on the rebranding, so I
> wanted to wake this discussion back up and try to see if we can
> drive it to a conclusion. As we continue to take on hosting for
> additional large projects, having somewhere for them to send the
> contributors and users in their community which has a distinct
> identity unclouded by OpenStack itself will help make our services
> much more welcoming. If you don't particularly like the OpenDev idea
> or have alternatives you think might achieve greater consensus
> within our team and present a better image to our extended
> community, present and future, please update the above mentioned pad
> or follow up to this mailing list thread. Thanks!

I am a fan of OpenDev. I think it gives a path forward that works for the immediate future and long term. https://review.opendev.org seems like a reasonable place to do code review for a project :)

I do think it would be good to continue collecting input particularly from those involved in the day to day infra activities. If we can reach rough consensus over the next week or so that would give us the opportunity to use time at the PTG to do a rough sketch of how we can start "migrating" to the new name.

Your feedback much appreciated.

Thank you,
Clark