[OpenStack-Infra] Launch node and the new bridge server

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Aug 28 15:02:46 UTC 2018

Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> writes:

> On 08/28/2018 09:48 AM, Clark Boylan wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
>> One quick new observation. launch-node.py does not install puppet at
>> all so the subsequent ansible runs on the newly launched instances
>> will fail when attempting to stop the puppet service (and will
>> continue on to fail to run puppet as well I think).
>
> I think we should manage puppet on the hosts from Ansible; we did
> discuss that we could just manually run
> system-config:install_puppet.sh after launching the node; but while
> that script does contain some useful things for getting various puppet
> versions, it also carries a lot of extra cruft from years gone by.
>
> I've proposed the roles to install puppet in [1].  This runs the roles
> under Zuul for integration testing.

Unlike the afs/krb roles, I don't believe we have plans to run these
roles directly in Zuul jobs, so a better choice might be to exercise
them in the eventual per-hostgroup jobs that we write, which test
end-to-end deployment of each host.  That will be a more realistic
exercise of the roles.

How about we temporarily add these to the system-config-run-base job
until we write our first hostgroup job for a puppet host, then remove
it?

-Jim