[OpenStack-Infra] Request to keep Fedora 28 images around until Fedora 30 comes out

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 04:57:49 UTC 2018

On 08/03/2018 04:45 AM, Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018, at 9:57 AM, Alex Schultz wrote:
> As a note, Fedora 28 does come with python2.7. It is installed so
> that Zuul related ansible things can execute under python2 on the
> test nodes. There is the possibility that ansible's python3 support
> is working well enough that we could switch to it, but that
> requires testing and updates to software and images and config.

Python 3 only images are possible -- dib has a whole "dib-python"
thing for running python scripts inside the chroot in a distro &
version independent way -- but not with the pip-and-virtualenv element
setup we do as that drags in both [1].  You can go through a "git log"
of that element to see some of the many problems :)

OpenStack has always managed to tickle bugs in
pip/setuptools/virtualenv which is why we go to the effort of
installing the latest out-of-band.  This is not to say it couldn't be
reconsidered, especially for a distro like Fedora which packages
up-to-date packages.  But this would definitely be the first
port-of-call for anyone interested in going down that path in infra.

-i

[1] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/diskimage-builder/tree/diskimage_builder/elements/pip-and-virtualenv/install.d/pip-and-virtualenv-source-install/04-install-pip