[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul feature/zuulv3 branch to be rewound

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Thu Sep 21 18:15:31 UTC 2017

Darragh Bailey <daragh.bailey at gmail.com> writes:

>> The abandon/restore steps are required by Gerrit in order to delete the
>> branch.  We could force-push the branch tip, but this is the procedure
>> we have asked and would ask any other project to use in a similar
>> situation, in order to reduce the risk of error.
>
> Can you elaborate more on how this reduces risk/errors? Curious in case we
> run into a similar scenario in the future.

Deleting/creating branches entails granting fewer permissions in Gerrit,
so there is less opportunity to accidentally commit an error such as
pushing to the wrong branch, or accidentally pushing local tags, etc.
Creating a branch through the Gerrit web UI is also a very deliberate
step, arguably easier to verify than a push.

It's not a lot of extra safety.  Just some.

-Jim