[OpenStack-Infra] Infracloud Plans

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Sep 14 16:23:21 UTC 2017

Hello,

At the PTG we discussed the future of Infracloud. Jeremy has been
looking at moving our existing Infracloud hardware for Vanilla and
Chocolate into a more formal hosting environment. Problems with doing
this include a lack of rails, network switches, and the hardware is ~7
years old so will consume quite a bit more space and electricity than
modern hardware.

Another item we have been concerned about is the clouds we are running
are Mitaka OpenStack running on Ubuntu Trusty. This is supported by
Ubuntu until April 2019, but is fairly old and having newer clouds would
be nice.

The proposal we came up with at the PTG is to stop attempting to move
the existing hardware as it is costly to do so and comes with a number
of additional logistical issues (like finding rails that will work). As
a consequence of this we will also not attempt to upgrade the Vanilla
and Chocolate clouds to > Mitaka. Instead we will deploy newer OpenStack
cloud(s) on hardware should we manage to come across some. This could be
new (to us) hardware in a formal hosting environment or baremetal
instances provided by some baremetal service.

More info can be found at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/queen-infracloud-notes. Please let us
know if you have any questions or concerns.

Clark