[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul v3 questions (was: Re: [openstack-dev] Update on Zuul v3 Migration - and what to do about issues)

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Fri Oct 27 22:17:26 UTC 2017

Rikimaru Honjo <honjo.rikimaru at po.ntt-tx.co.jp> writes:

> Hello,
>
> (Can I still use this thread?)

In the future, you may want to start a new thread on
openstack-infra at lists.openstack.org for general Zuul questions.

I've changed the CC list and subject of this message to redirect the
conversation there.

> Excuse me, I'm trying to run Zuul v3 in my environment, and I have three
> question about it.
> I'd appreciate it if anyone helps.
>
> My environment)
> I use feature/zuulv3 branch, and version is 2.5.3.dev1374.

We have not released Zuul v3 yet and we don't recommend that folks use
it yet unless they want to contribute to developing it.  Installation
and configuration is currently more difficult than we would like, and
the code base is still rapidly changing.  We will send out announcements
when it is ready for general use (including OpenStack third-party CI).
This may or may not apply to you, but I wanted to reiterate it for
anyone else reading.  Thanks for trying it out.  :)

> Q1)
> "Unknown option --die-with-parent" error was occurred when zuul ran job.
> Is there requirement of bubblewrap version?
>
> I used bubblewrap 0.1.7-1~16.04~ansible.
> If I removed "--die-with-parent" from zuul/driver/bubblewrap/__init__.py,
> above error wouldn't occurred.

You will need a newer version of bubblewrap.  Attempting to run with an
older one will cause Zuul not to behave as expected.  I believe
OpenStack-infra uses a PPA with a more recent version.

> Q2)
> When I specified "zuul_return" in playbook, the below error was occurred
> on remote host.
>
> KeyError: 'ZUUL_JOBDIR'
>
> Should I write a playbook to set a environment variable "ZUUL_JOBDIR"?

I believe that zuul_return is only expected to work on the executor, so
you may need to delegate this play to 'localhost' to ensure it does not
run on the remote node.

> Q3)
> Setup module of ansible took long time when zuul ran jobs.
> My job was succeeded if I extended timeout from 60 to 120 by modifying
> runAnsibleSetup() in zuul/executor/server.py.
>
> But, if I run same job directly(by own), it was finished soon.
> Do you have any knowledge about it?

I'm not sure about this.  It might be related to the persistent SSH
connections which are constructed by the setup task and then used by
later playbook invocations.  I'd start by correcting the bubblewrap
issue and see if this changes.

> P.S.
> Is there a constructed VM image or ansible for running zuul v3...?

Not yet, but we hope to have something like that before release.

-Jim