[OpenStack-Infra] Ignoring pep8 E741

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Oct 24 23:00:25 UTC 2017

Hi,

I discussed this briefly with some folks in IRC and received support,
but I thought it wise to bring to the mailing list.

I think we should add E741 to the list of pep8 errors that we ignore as
a matter of course in infra projects.

This is a recently added change which forbids the use of variables
named either "l", "I", or "O".

The same upgrade also brought E722, which rejects bare "except:"
clauses.  There is a good reason to do so -- the KeyboardInterrupt
exception does not inherit from the "Exception" class, and you almost
always don't want to catch it.  So all such instances should be replaced
with "except Exception:".  I think we should simply fix these errors.

-Jim