[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul v3 tag checkouts

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 24 17:49:14 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-24 10:09:07 -0700 (-0700), James E. Blair wrote:
[...]
> Add 'override-checkout' to support branches + tags and drop (after
> a deprecation period) 'override-branch'. It's very clear what it
> does, and it relates to git terminology.
[...]

It's not _entirely_ clear to me (though it probably is to others)
that the intended behavior if you specify
override-checkout=stable/ocata is to give you the stable/ocata
branch plus speculative state (assuming a dependent pipeline) while
override-checkout=newton-eol would just give you the known state for
the newton-eol tag. The difference in behaviors for branch vs
non-branch refs could lead to potential confusion. On the other
hand, this is a bit of a devil's advocate argument so I suppose the
answer is "Zuul does what most people would want, and what most
people want with override-{branch,checkout} is speculative state."