[OpenStack-Infra] [openstack-infra] [nova] build log REST access

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Oct 10 17:49:30 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 06:46 AM, Klérisson Paixão wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm looking for documentation on how to access the REST API of openstack
> logstash/elasticsearch to retrieve builds logs.
> Could you, please, point me out how to start?

The docs that describe how we use logstash and elasticsearch can be
found at https://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/logstash.html.
Some of that info is currently in flux as we work towards deploying
zuulv3 but I think at a high level it is largely correct.

As noted there the elasticsearch API can be hit at
http://logstash.openstack.org/elasticsearch. This exposes a read only
subset of the proper elasticsearch 1.7 API which is documented at
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/1.7/index.html.
If you find there are queries you'd like to make not currently allowed
by our proxy let us know and we can see if it is possible to open that
up safely.

Finally keep in mind that we only index INFO and greater log lines and
we only keep 10 days worth of indexed logs. Logstash/elasticsearch
should be used for targeted look ups of specific log entries rather than
aggregate log viewing due to the sheer volume of the data. If you are
looking for an index into complete logs the openstack health dashboard
at http://status.openstack.org/openstack-health/ might be a better place
to start.

Hope this helps,
Clark