[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul v3: proposed new Depends-On syntax

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon May 29 18:55:22 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-29 13:34:47 +1000 (+1000), Joshua Hesketh wrote:
[...]
> We could extend the 'start message' of zuul to explain what it is
> about to do. eg: "Testing change XYZ against $branch, with change
> XYZ applied to $project $branch, with..." etc.

This would be hard (I think for definitions of hard roughly equal to
impossible) for dependent pipelines since the non-declared
dependencies which will be tested in the pile can't be guessed in
advance (some may be kicked out, some may come between declared
dependencies, et cetera).

> This could alternatively go into a "state" file (of sorts) in the
> zuul logs/output. ie, summarise what the zuul-cloner did into
> simple terms that doesn't involve large logs.

I'm assuming you mean zuul-merger unless zuul-cloner is growing to
replace zuul-merger in v3 or something? Anyway, I agree a general
logset per changeish might be nice in addition to per-job logs and
this information might fit well somewhere there (or copied into each
build result).