[OpenStack-Infra] static.o.o : skipping logs fsck at boot

Yolanda Robla Mota yroblamo at redhat.com
Fri Mar 31 09:47:42 UTC 2017

Indeed, it was a surprise to see the graphical boot when entering into the
emergency console.
And I agree with not checking the huge static volumes at boot. When we are
in the situation to require a reboot, it is likely because we detected some
filesystem corruption, so we are aware and we can take care with fsck
manually, without denying all the other services that are on the static vm.
In my case this morning, I logged and was hitting the filesystem corruption
in logs, but I was in the situation that I had to do a restart, because
fsck was complaining about filesystem in use, even if lsof/fuser were
showing nothing, and the volume had been unmounted. Restart causing that
long wait time, and had to avoid it anyway, so it will make sense to
disable by default.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Yolanda for driving the logs.o.o recovery after some RAX
> maintenance on the log volumes.
>
> Just some thoughts -- firstly this host boots up into a graphical
> console which gives pretty but not terribly informative logo screen
> after you've pulled up the emergency console (at least it's not java
> any more?).  I presume nobody would be unhappy if we fiddle the grub
> defaults to make this boot in text mode.
>
> What do we think about turning off boot fsck for the logs volume (and
> others)?  I admit we rarely reboot this, but when we do, it doesn't
> seem strictly necessary to hold up boot for the long check on this
> large volume.  While main-static volume is fsck-ing, /srv/static/logs
> is available from main-static and can buffer logs until its finished.
> This is what we're doing right now, but I had to get into the
> aforementioned console and convince it to continue booting.
>
> -i

Yolanda Robla Mota

Principal Software Engineer, RHCSA

Red Hat