[OpenStack-Infra] [zuul] Feedback requested for tox job definition

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Thu Mar 9 16:50:50 UTC 2017

Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> writes:

> Also reading these job defs and comparing against the zuulv3 spec it
> isn't clear to me what the expected behavior for inheriting pre and post
> playbooks is. Seems like maybe pre is a queue so parent pre roles run
> first and post is a stack so parent post roles run last? If that is
> already written down and I am just missing it sorry for the noise, if it
> isn't written down maybe we can do that?

Yeah, I think it was first written down in my pre-PTG summary message.
I intend on porting over the relevant portions of that text to the Zuul
documentation soon, once we're finished making major changes to the
config format (I have one such change in progress).

The wording I used to explain it was "nesting" -- when you inherit from
a job, your job nests inside the pre and post playbooks of the job from
which you inherit.  This is because the most basic job should do the
earliest pre-tasks (e.g., set up git repos) which other jobs should be
able to rely on.  Likewise, inheriting jobs should be able to rely on
base jobs performing the most general post-tasks (e.g., copy all of the
logs).

-Jim