[OpenStack-Infra] Puppet 4, beaker jobs and the future of our config management

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 20 18:40:11 UTC 2017

A couple weeks ago during our June 6 Infra team meeting,
discussion[1] about the state of our Ansible Puppet Apply spec[2]
morphed into concerns over the languishing state of our Beaker-based
Puppet module integration test jobs, work needed to prepare for
Puppet 4 now that Puppet 3 is EOL upstream[3] for the past 6 months,
and the emergence of several possibly competing/conflicting approved
and proposed Infra specs:

  * Puppet Module Functional Testing[4]
  * Puppet 4 Preliminary Testing[5]
  * Rename and expand Puppet 4 Preliminary Testing[6]
  * Ansiblify control plane[7]

As the discussion evolved, unanswered questions were raised:

  1. What are we going to do to restore public reporting?

  2. Should we push forward with the changes needed to address
     bitrot on the nonvoting Beaker-based integration jobs so we can
     start enforcing them on new changes to all our modules?

  3. Is the effort involved in upfitting our existing modules to
     Puppet 4 worth the effort compared to trying to replace Puppet
     with Ansible (a likely contentious debate lurking here) which
     might attract more developer/reviewer focus and interest?

The meeting was neither long enough nor an appropriate venue for
deciding these things, so I agreed to start a thread here on the ML
where we might be able to hash out our position on them a little
more effectively and inclusive of the wider community involved.
Everyone with a vested interest is welcome to weigh in, of course.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2017/infra.2017-06-06-19.03.log.html#l-24
[2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/ansible_puppet_apply.html
[3] https://voxpupuli.org/blog/2016/12/22/putting-down-puppet-3/
[4] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/puppet-module-functional-testing.html