[OpenStack-Infra] About aarch64 third party CI

Xinliang Liu xinliang.liu at linaro.org
Tue Jun 13 02:44:46 UTC 2017

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for reply;-)

On 10 June 2017 at 03:58, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2017-06-07 14:26:10 +0800 (+0800), Xinliang Liu wrote:
> [...]
> > we already have our own pre-built debian cloud image, could I just
> > use it and not use the one built by diskimage-builder?
> [...]
>
> The short answer is that nodepool doesn't currently have support for
> directly using an image provided independent of its own image build
> process. Clark was suggesting[*] in IRC today that it might be
> possible to inject records into Zookeeper (acting as a "fake"
> nodepool-builder daemon basically) to accomplish this, but nobody
> has yet implemented such a solution to our knowledge.

​Got it, thanks.

> Longer term, I think we do want a feature in nodepool to be able to
> specify the ID of a prebuilt image for a label/provider (at least we
> discussed that we wouldn't reject the idea if someone proposed a
> suitable implementation). Just be aware that nodepool's use of
> diskimage-builder to regularly rebuild images is intentional and
> useful since it ensures images are updated with the latest packages,

I think this is the point that make a really update gating image to run the
tests.
​

> kernels, warm caches and whatever else you specify in your elements
> so reducing job runtimes as they spend less effort updating these
> things on every run.

​How often nodepool will rebuild the images?
If it too frequency every day. ​Shall we just make a job to publish the
​pre-built gating images every day then other CI test just use them
(something like docker image, though it is container image)?
You know making a gating image need to include lots of elements, even
though with warm caches, when using diskimage-builder
we still need to rebuild step by step. What I mean is that building image
is taking a bit time.

Thanks,
-xinliang