[OpenStack-Infra] puppet-pip breakage for systems

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Jun 1 16:53:27 UTC 2017

Puppet users,

Last night, I hastily approved 469559[1] which ended up doing some damage to our
production servers.  The symlink logic was not correct and what ended up
happening was python3 pip was downloaded, and installed, followed by our symlink
command.  EG:

  1 - We ran get-pip.py under python3
  2 - This create pip, pip3, pip3.x for python3
  3 - pip2 was symlinked to pip (making it python3 also)

This meant, any existing pip installs that were python2 based were incorrectly
made python3.

  pip(python3), pip2(symlink python3), pip3 (new python3)

We posted 469851[2] this morning to undo the symlinking and correctly reinstall
pip as python2.  However, during that time, any puppet task that used pip could
have attempted to install the package using python3.

It is recommend you audit your servers, specifically 3rd party CI, to see if
there was any issues during this time period.  We created an etherpad[3] for
openstack-infra to track the failures, is has some example commands on how you
can help to audit your own server.

Apologies for the troubles today, I should have been more careful in reading the
initial patch.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469559/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469851/
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/infra-pip-symlink-failure