[OpenStack-Infra] Xenial Upgrade Sprint Recap

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Dec 15 23:17:33 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to quickly recap what we got done this week during our
control plane upgrade to Xenial sprint.

Prior to the sprint we had a few systems running on Xenial:
  * Everything zuulv3
  * All of the new nodepool launchers and image builders
  * The translate servers
  * The per region CI mirrors/proxies.
  * backup01.ord.rax.ci.openstack.org

Over the course of the week we have added these services to the list:
  * paste.openstack.org
  * files.openstack.org (serves our documentation)
  * grafana.openstack.org
  * eavesdrop.openstack.org
  * cacti.openstack.org
  * codesearch.openstack.org
  * The entire elasticsearch cluster for logs
  * The logstash workers that feed elasticsearch
  * The subunit workers that feed health.openstack.org

As the week ends there are a few services that are still in progress.
Hope to get them done shortly:
  * etherpad.openstack.org
  * ethercalc.openstack.org
  * status.openstack.org
  * The kerberos system behind AFS

We also deleted a few no longer required servers:
  * Puppetdb is now gone (replacement tbd but it hadn't worked for a
  while)
  * design-summit-prep.openstack.org

Overall I think we made a really good dent in the list. We did focus on
the easier services, which helped us learn about the gotchas involved in
this upgrade before trying to take services like gerrit and afs on. In
particular we've found that the firewall on Xenial
(netfilter-persistent) can no longer look up names in dns at boot so we
have switched to writing IP addresses into the firewall rules. We've
also had to deal with puppet not implicitly reloading systemd when new
units/sysv init scripts are installed. Finally we've had to work through
node.js updates.

We also welcomed two new roots this week and used the sprint as infra
root onboarding materal for dmsimard and frickler (Shrews joined us
too). They were a great help and I think this process was a good way to
onboard new roots. Will be curious to hear their feedback now that we
are "done".

Let me know if I missed anything and thank you to everyone that helped
out!

Clark