[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul v3: Giant pile of thoughts around zuul-web things

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Aug 1 15:09:46 UTC 2017

On 07/26/2017 03:28 PM, David Moreau Simard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A bit out of my comfort zone for the content of your giant pile of
> thoughts, but I'll jump on this bit:
>
>> We have a desire to add something that knows how to
>> render the job-output.json in some nice ways.
>
> The next things on my plate for ARA are:
> - Introduce the concept of API to abstract model access
> - Input drivers based on the API (callback, zuul json, mqtt, etc.)
> - Output drivers based on the API (html, junit, subunit, influx, graphite, etc.)
>
> This is no small task but I'm hoping to have made significant progress
> by the time the PTG rolls around.
>
> Paul showed interest in having those job-output.json files imported into ARA.
> I could see this taking a similar approach than how we are currently
> importing subunit files into openstack-health.

I actually may want to discuss doing this in the other direction - but I
think that's a post-PTG discussion. Basically - the way we generate that
json today is pretty inefficient (we have to load and rewrite it
multiple times) The way ara collects data into a database then exports
it would actually be MUCH nicer and involve less data in RAM at any one
given point in time.

The downside is that there are a few 'non-standard' pieces of important
metadata that we'd need to work out how to get ara to deal with without
ara growing zuul-specific knowledge.

In any case - I think integration level is a great conversation topic
for post-PTG. For now I think the level of ara integration we'll have
just with the simple callback+export will be great and will set us up
well to iterate and improve on it.