[OpenStack-Infra] [zuul] Zuul v3 project management clarifications

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Nov 18 16:41:35 UTC 2016

Excerpts from David Shrewsbury's message of 2016-11-18 09:30:04 -0500:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi! First, thanks everyone for getting things into storyboard and
> > helping us get started parallelizing and tracking the work. It's already
> > paying dividends.
> >
> > In the past, I suggested that everyone use this work board:
> >
> > https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/board/41
> >
> > The reality is that work boards are a bit confusing and they require
> > ACL's, so it's just making things harder to ask everyone to use it. So I
> > want to clarify: This is a tool to track Zuul v3's journey to
> > operational feasibility. In theory, you can look there and find a story
> > or task that is ready for working toward that goal. But don't worry too
> > much about keeping it up to date. I'll be watching the items on the
> > board and moving cards around as needed if you don't want to. If you
> > want to help, ping me on #zuul and I can give you access.
> >
> > However, if you just want to work on Zuul v3, I highly recommend picking
> > a story from the Todo on that board. Assign a task to yourself, and then
> > please reference it in your commits like this:
> >

> Glad to hear you suggest this, because I made an honest effort to learn
> storyboard and help setup tasks and whatnot, but the workflow made
> absolutely no sense to me and it frustrated me to no end. I'll gladly assign
> my name to existing tasks, but I really don't want to have to work with
> SB beyond that (feel free to remove my ACL, if you wish).

The UI does need work, there's no disagreement on that. I think the act
of finding a story or task in the 'todo' or 'backlog' and assigning your
name to a task should be sufficient to keep us all in sync.

I'd encourage you, and anyone else who feels in a similar way, to continue
your dialog with #storyboard on Freenode, as they're super excited to
hear from users.