[OpenStack-Infra] [zuul] Zuul v3 project management clarifications

David Shrewsbury shrewsbury.dave at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:30:04 UTC 2016

Hi!

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Hi! First, thanks everyone for getting things into storyboard and
> helping us get started parallelizing and tracking the work. It's already
> paying dividends.
>
> In the past, I suggested that everyone use this work board:
>
> https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/board/41
>
> The reality is that work boards are a bit confusing and they require
> ACL's, so it's just making things harder to ask everyone to use it. So I
> want to clarify: This is a tool to track Zuul v3's journey to
> operational feasibility. In theory, you can look there and find a story
> or task that is ready for working toward that goal. But don't worry too
> much about keeping it up to date. I'll be watching the items on the
> board and moving cards around as needed if you don't want to. If you
> want to help, ping me on #zuul and I can give you access.
>
> However, if you just want to work on Zuul v3, I highly recommend picking
> a story from the Todo on that board. Assign a task to yourself, and then
> please reference it in your commits like this:

Glad to hear you suggest this, because I made an honest effort to learn
storyboard and help setup tasks and whatnot, but the workflow made
absolutely no sense to me and it frustrated me to no end. I'll gladly assign
my name to existing tasks, but I really don't want to have to work with
SB beyond that (feel free to remove my ACL, if you wish).

> Story: #######
> Task: ####
>
> If something from Backlog catches your eye, you may want to discuss it
> with jeblair first, as the situation is fluid and things in backlog may
> change. Once Jim's on board, I'd appreciate a ping so I can update the
> board and move the story you're working on accordingly.
>
> Finally, https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2000773 is an epic
> story centered around re-enabling Zuul's tests that have been skipped
> during heavy refactoring. As the description suggests, if you see a test
> that is being skipped that you want to re-enable, please check in the
> story first, as the fix may already be in flight. If you don't see it
> as a task, then go ahead and add one and assign yourself.
>
> Thanks!

David Shrewsbury (Shrews)