[OpenStack-Infra] Tri-Weekly IRC meetings?

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Nov 15 23:40:54 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 03:10:04PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> > On 10 Nov 2016 8:56 PM, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org
> > <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
> >>
> >> The issue with this solution is that any "monthly" slot ends up being
> >> exactly the same as a "weekly" slot: you can't schedule any
> >> weekly/biweekly meetings at the same time and location. Monthly meetings
> >> are therefore paradoxically more wasteful than biweekly meetings, and
> >> there is therefore little point in adding them to the software since you
> >> can emulate them with "weekly" bookings and just skip most meetings.
> >
> > That seems to be based on the assumption that other groups wouldn't want
> > monthly scheduling?
> >
> > Also, I'd suggest we avoid "monthly" altogether and instead use
> > "4weekly", that would seem to allow biweekly meetings to use the same
> > day&time on the alternate (odd/even) week.
>
> 4weekly sounds like a good idea! Less conflicts ftw.
>
> If we really really want monthly stuff, we could create a channel
> dedicated to monthly meetings, to avoid creating conflicts on every
> channels.

I feel like there'is a tension here that we need to work through

is yaml2ical a library for others (outside OpenStack) to use?  If it is and
*they* want monthly meetings then I really think we shoudl include them.  The
conflict deection isn't *that* hard and the need for other recurrence types
would tidy the code.  So form this POV I htink we shoudl certainly allow for
this.

Within OpenStack, we have several groups that want Monthly meetings so we
shoudl work out a way to support that.

What we do right now is schedule a weekly meeting and then add a description to
say "we only hold this on thr nth $day" [1]

We could create a 4weekly which would reduce the wastage.  I'm also open to
creating #openstack-meeting-monthly and just moving all the monthly meetings
there.  I feel like we get asked for a solution to this often enough that we
need to define an answer.

Yours Tony.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Documentation_User_Guides_Team_Meeting