[OpenStack-Infra] JJB V2.0 planning

Thanh Ha thanh.ha at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Nov 11 14:59:36 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Wayne Warren <wayne at puppet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Thanh Ha <thanh.ha at linuxfoundation.org>
> wrote:
>
>> There's 2 patches that need one more core-review to get merged so
>> hopefully someone can take a look at them soon:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/336091 Improve logger output for expanding
>> templates
>> https://review.openstack.org/206178 Add view management functionality
>>

> Merged, looking forward trying these out in the 2.0.0 release!
>

>> And these patches need some reviews:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/395716 Add support for view-template
>>

> This is a feature addition that seems to me like it could just as easily
> have landed in 1.x as in 2.0.0 or for that matter 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc. Are
> we blocking a 2.0.0 release on this and if so is there a technical reason
> for doing that rather than focusing on merging the changes necessary for
> 2.0.0--the goal of which remember was to refactor the API for improved
> programmatic access to JJB internals, which benefits all of us even if the
> view-template feature is not included in the first 2.x release.

You're right this one can be added at anytime. It would be very helpful to
us if we can get it in sooner rather than later though as we rely on views
quite a bit. At least the view patch above was merged so that will get us
by if we don't have time for this one.

>> We also have 4 patches that still need work:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/333076 Move macro expansion into YamlParser
>>

> I will find time to update this per the review comments by Friday.
>

>> https://review.openstack.org/309735 Output additional info when
>> exceptions occur
>> https://review.openstack.org/357960 Add convenience function for plugin
>> namespace

I'll try to take another crack at the plugin namespace one today.

> https://review.openstack.org/358019 Support explicit API and simple
>> config creation
>>
>> There's also some TODO actions in the etherpad that we need to decide if
>> we want to continue pushing for in the JJB 2.0 push.
>>

> I think the best forum for making a decision on these items would be here
> on the mailing list. If everyone else agrees let's start that in this
> thread.

+1 that makes sense to me.

Thanh