[OpenStack-Infra] JJB V2.0 planning

Wayne Warren wayne at puppet.com
Thu Nov 10 17:07:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Thanh Ha <thanh.ha at linuxfoundation.org>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'd like to keep the momentum of JJB 2.0 work going as we're so close to
> the finish line. This Friday we're going to continue our sprint in
> #openstack-sprint for those who can make it. Wayne suggested we send a
> status to the mailing list for those who can't.
>
> To summarize some of the etherpad https://etherpad.
> openstack.org/p/jjb_api_v2.0 below.
>
> There's 2 patches that need one more core-review to get merged so
> hopefully someone can take a look at them soon:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/336091 Improve logger output for expanding
> templates
> https://review.openstack.org/206178 Add view management functionality

Merged, looking forward trying these out in the 2.0.0 release!

> And these patches need some reviews:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/395716 Add support for view-template

This is a feature addition that seems to me like it could just as easily
have landed in 1.x as in 2.0.0 or for that matter 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc. Are
we blocking a 2.0.0 release on this and if so is there a technical reason
for doing that rather than focusing on merging the changes necessary for
2.0.0--the goal of which remember was to refactor the API for improved
programmatic access to JJB internals, which benefits all of us even if the
view-template feature is not included in the first 2.x release.

> We also have 4 patches that still need work:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/333076 Move macro expansion into YamlParser

I will find time to update this per the review comments by Friday.

> https://review.openstack.org/309735 Output additional info when
> exceptions occur
> https://review.openstack.org/357960 Add convenience function for plugin
> namespace
> https://review.openstack.org/358019 Support explicit API and simple
> config creation
>
> There's also some TODO actions in the etherpad that we need to decide if
> we want to continue pushing for in the JJB 2.0 push.

I think the best forum for making a decision on these items would be here
on the mailing list. If everyone else agrees let's start that in this
thread.