[OpenStack-Infra] Tri-Weekly IRC meetings?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 10 09:52:13 UTC 2016

Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 10:56:38AM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> Our scheduling system currently only supports biweekly or weekly
>> meetings. We don't currently support monthly or triweekly meetings
>> (mostly to avoid having to detect complex conflicts with biweekly meetings).
>>
>> I guess we could evolve openstack-infra/yaml2ical to detect more complex
>> conflicts. We'd gain in scheduling flexibility, but lose in our ability
>> to pack the schedule tightly and make it pretty difficult to find empty
>> slots manually.
>
> Yeah I think we should add monthly (which would more-or-less cover triweekly)
> In that you could have a monthly-1st, monthly-3rd and monthly-4th events.
> ---
>   - time:       '1400'
>     day:        Monday
>     irc:        openstack-meeting
>     frequency:  monthly-1st             # 1400 on the 1st Monday of the month
>   - time:       '2100'
>     day:        Thursday
>     irc:        openstack-meeting-alt
>     frequency:  monthly-3rd             # 2100 on the 3rd Thursday of the month
>   - time:       '0930'
>     day:        Thursday
>     irc:        openstack-meeting-alt
>     frequency:  monthly-4th             # 0930 on the 4th Thursday of the month
> ---
>
> It isn't quite a tri-weekly rotation but may be close enough.

The issue with this solution is that any "monthly" slot ends up being
exactly the same as a "weekly" slot: you can't schedule any
weekly/biweekly meetings at the same time and location. Monthly meetings
are therefore paradoxically more wasteful than biweekly meetings, and
there is therefore little point in adding them to the software since you
can emulate them with "weekly" bookings and just skip most meetings.

Instead of monthly-1st/2nd/3rd/4th we could have
monthly-1st-odd/1st-even/2nd-odd/2nd-even. That would make them slightly
less wasteful (monthly-*-odd things do not conflict with biweekly-even
things). But they would be pretty complex to interpret and then why not
just use biweekly-* things and skip one every two meetings ?

> Of course adding this would mean adding tools to grok the data ad see if a
> meeting slot is open
>
> search-open --day Monday --time 1000 --freq weekly ?
>
> Which could list the available irc channels or nothing.  Later it could be
> extended to list "nearby options"

We'll probably have to add a meeting channel as well, since that will
create wasted slots (places where you can't put a weekly or biweekly
meeting).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)